Monday, December 6, 2010

Life Outside the Marine Corps

So the hubs and I have been discussing what we want to do when his time is up for his active duty contract. We've decided, so far (as his mind frequently changes), that we're getting out and he's going to serve Active Reserves. There are many perks to his doing so and only 2 days a month and 2 weeks a year that are the downside. But, I can sacrifice that time with him willingly. The current topic for us outside the Marine Corps is where we're going to live and where he's going to go to school. I'm very adamant about where I want to live, south of the Mason Dixon line. I'm southern born and bred and I don't plan on living the rest of my life in the north. No offense intended, I just like that I have 4 seasons, and a very nice and hot summer. So for now, we've decided that when he gets out, sometime between December 2011 and January 2012 that we're going to go home for a month. 1) to visit all of our family more extensively than we've been able to the past few years, and 2) to await our belongings being shipped to our home of record from Hawaii. I think, just to hasten things along, we'll be willing to give our things up more quickly than we did to bring them out here. We were told 30 to 45 days. We waited almost 75 days. I wasn't a happy camper if you can imagine. So, we'll probably give up our things in December. And hopefully follow soon after. Then after being at home for a few weeks we've decided that he's going to finish his last year and a half at the University of GA. Now, being a Razorback fan, that's a horrible proposition. But, believe us, we will definitely be going to the games wearing our Razorback pride! The hubs isn't sure on his career track and what all he wants to do in his life. He's thinking at this moment, that he only wants to live in GA for around 7 to 8 years. And already have 2 or 3 children. Umm.. I don't think so. I don't like moving. I've done plenty and have had my fill of it. This next move will be my last. Especially if we have children. Its heart wrenching being taken away from everything and everyone that you know. And I really would rather them start and finish school in one spot. Preferably a small town like the both of us had. But we shall see. As for now, life after the Marine Corps is a not so distant future that we're going to have to start gearing up for. And we can't wait! Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment